What are Plate Ribs?
Plate Ribs are essentially a large slab of Short Ribs. They are cut from the rib section near the brisket and are known for their insane marbling. Some call them “brisket on a stick” and they are often referred to as “the best bite in BBQ." Plate Ribs are more forgiving than a brisket for novice pit masters and yield an incredibly juicy and rich bite.
- Booth Creek Wagyu Platinum Wagyu Plate Ribs
- BCW Tallow (optional)
- Kosher Salt
- 16 Mesh Pepper (or favorite rub)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Boning knife
- Butcher paper
- Meat thermometer pin
- Small aluminum pan (optional)
- Remove ribs from the package and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Use a flexible boning knife to trim silver skin and any excess fat, trying not to take so much off that it creates a valley in the meat.
- Salt brine overnight, if able, using Kosher Salt.
- The following day, add an equal amount of 16 Mesh Pepper (coarse ground).
- Set pellet grill to 200-225 degrees or offset wood smoker to 275 degrees (they cook differently).
- Place a small aluminum pan of water in the smoker to keep things moist.
- Smoke ribs for 4.5 to 8 hours until the bark is formed to your individual liking. After a couple of hours, spritz with a 50/50 Apple Cider Vinegar and water mix every 45 minutes or so.
- When the bark is to your liking and the internal temp is in the vicinity of 165-175 degrees, smother in Booth Creek Wagyu Tallow, (product coming soon!), and wrap in butcher paper. Continue to smoke the wrapped ribs for 3 to 4 hours until there is virtually no resistance through the meat with the thermometer pin. It should feel like warm butter. The internal temp should be around 202 degrees, but don’t go off temperature alone. Take the ribs off the smoker and allow them to rest in the butcher paper for a minimum of 1 hour, preferably in a cooler. Unwrap, slice between the ribs, and enjoy!
Beware - These ribs may look like a single meal for one or two people, but half of one of these ribs went into a container for later. We fed three men with an average body weight of 200lbs with these Platinum Plate Ribs. Like our Platinum Ribeyes, these will induce a meat coma in a hurry!
Shop Plate Ribs