Wagyu Tri-Tip Roast with Romesco Sauce
For the Rub
||For the Sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large roasted red peppers in olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1/2 cup Marcona almonds
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra- virgin olive oil
- Remove tri-tip from the refrigerator about an hour before cooking. Trim excess silver skin. Make note of how the grain of the meat runs. In tri- tip, the direction of the grain may change; after cooking make sure to cut against the grain. Season both sides with Kosher salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together coffee, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle powder, and pepper until well mixed. Liberally season both sided of the tri-tip with the rub.
- TO GRILL- Preheat charcoal or gas grill to high. Place tri-tip over direct heat and cook for about 5-6 minutes, flip and cook about 5-6 minutes more. The lower gas to medium or move meat to a cooler part of the charcoal grill. Turn meat again and cook another 7-8 minutes, or until instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 130 degrees F for approximately 18-20 minutes. Proceed to step 5.
- TO PAN-ROAST- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. Heat 2 tablespoons of neutral oil in heavy, oven-safe pan (we like cast iron) over high heat until nearly smoking. Add tri-tip to pan and immediately reduce heat to medium-high. Sear for about 4 minutes then flip and put pan into preheated oven. Roast for about 15 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 130 degrees F for medium-rare. Rest roast on a cutting board for 10-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce- Add red peppers, garlic, almonds, tomato puree, parsley, vinegar, paprika, and cayenne to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until very finely chopped. With processor running slowly add olive oil, process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice the tri-tip against the grain and serve with romesco sauce.